If your website is looking a graveyard with no activity, you really need to do something about it. The thing is; how the hell do you get the traffic? If you have tried everything from commenting on other people’s boring blogs besides yours, tried article submissions, submitted to social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, Linkedin and the rest of the usual stuff) and nothing has materialized and still dreaming of becoming an internet success story; then there has to be some other ways to promote your website.
These are some unorthodox things you might want to consider to increase traffic;
1. I have heard that offline promotion does wonders for traffic. This means that if people enter your website URL directly in the address bar, the Google engine likes it. So you could stand on the road and shout your website address to the world. Surely a few people will remember it and think you are out of mind and will look it up. In order to liven up a little, you can always wear a banana costume.
2. Get some car window stickers with your site URL in it. People stuck in traffic can read about your boring blog and maybe a few will even remember the URL. At traffic lights, you can climb on top of the car and sit there. When you climb back in the car, they will surely look at your ads in the window.
3. Carry a thick permanent marker. When you go to the ladies or gents, scribble your URL on the wall. www.visit-my-boring-blog-and-learn-some-wicked-stuff.com. I know its vandalizing, but what the hell. Marketing is war!! Just make sure you do it discretely and don’t get caught or anything.
4. Write your URL on every letter you send out and paper you handle. Oh yes, including exams papers.When you write your exams, scribble your website address on top of the paper. Your invigilators will be well impressed that your have a blog and might even give you extra marks. That’s two birds with one stone.
5. Create a banner to hang on your neck and take a stroll. You can sing loudly to attract attention. If you happen to see a football match going on, run in the middle of the pitch shouting your website at the top of your voice. You never know the team might endorse you and even ask you to be their marketing person.
More ideas welcome.