Beads of perspiration form on your forehead as you reach out for a glass of water; the whirring of the fan above you brings along with it, just a tad bit of frustration. Summers are lovely. It is sunny, and everything is bright. But, as summer progresses, it can get humid and hot in most parts of India. Do you sometimes wish that summer didn’t exist altogether? Do you long to run away to some chilly hill station or paradise island to beat the heat that summer brings along? What if you could enjoy some cool breeze blow through your hair?
Well, this doesn’t have to be a dream any longer. There are many attractions that you can visit this summer. You may pick from Kerala tour packages, or head to Goa, or plan a trip to the beautiful Kashmir! Think no more! Simply pack your bags and head out for fun filled vacation and beat the heat with our easy-peasy tips that will keep you cool as a cucumber through the sweltering heat of summer.
Book a Beach Resort
There is no better way to escape the scorching heat of the sun, than by booking a beach side resort. Now, whether that’s Goa’s Taj Exotica, Chennai’s Vivanta, or Maharashtra’s western blue ocean resort, you are in for a treat. You may think a day on the beach can be quite tedious, and why wouldn’t it be? After all, it is basking in the sun, while it is already hot outside. But picture this: amidst the toasty atmosphere, you get to take a dip in the pool! Most luxury resorts have private balconies, water views, saunas, swimming pools, in house restaurants, spas and all the luxuries that your heart could desire. You can book a luxurious beach resort in Kerala and other beaches for as less as INR 7000 a night. These resorts sit right on the beach and allow you access to well-kept private stretches of beach where you can splash in the water to beat the heat or sit by the shore enjoying a book and a freshly brewed cup of coffee. These private beaches will transport you into a world of tranquillity and love, and rekindle the flame in your relationship.
If you get tired of roasting on the beach, you can spend time by the bay, or even go out on a boat! That is not all. There is no better way to get that perfect golden hue on your skin than at a beachside resort. Do not forget to carry the right sunscreen to help you get that beautiful tan you always wanted. The number of fun activities at a beach resort is limitless. You can spend the evening by the poolside, taking dips every now and then to cool off and sip on signature mocktails to add to the fun. If this is not bliss, what is?
Hop on a Houseboat Cruise:
If you haven’t tried this already, don’t think twice. Of course, to live through the experience of a houseboat, you need to have access to one (so plan your mini vacation to either Kerala or Kashmir). Spending a whole day on a houseboat does come at a higher price, but brings with it a plethora of luxuries to enjoy. The best time to go cruising on a houseboat is undoubtedly summer. Most tourists confess that these trips are refreshing and the breath-taking beauty that tags along with these backwaters is a feast for the eyes. And, if you opt for one of the best Kerala tour packages, you will love the authentic piping hot Kerala dishes that are served on the houseboat cruises!
You can hire a houseboat for as low as INR 6500 for a one-bedroom houseboat for a whole day. The boat will cruise around the lake and take you through the backwater and winding canals in the day and cast anchor at night. You can choose luxury houseboats that will cost you about INR 10,000 and will have air conditioning and plush bedding in Kerala. A deluxe house boat in Kashmir will cost you much lesser at just INR 6500 for two adults with all meals.
Stay cool-cool with a summer drink
If splashing in the sea has done little to help you combat with the heat, it is time you tried out Kerala’s signature coconut water! This refreshing drink is chock full of nutrients such as amino acids and B vitamins. It also has zero cholesterol and is a natural diuretic that you can resort to if you have contracted the stomach flu from eating way too much! Simply pour some coconut water in a long glass of ice and sip on it, throughout the day to re-hydrate! Many eateries will serve the good ol’ el neer, or nariyal paani with a dash of lemon, which is a must try!
An Afternoon at the Spa:
Summer is always associated with a bevy of outdoor activities. The kids are on a break from school, and most families plan road trips with the top down, BBQs, and pool parties and other ways to embrace the outdoors. However, along with cherished memories, the temperatures too are on the rise. This means you must deal with smudged makeup and frizzy hair as well! If you are fed up with the heat, that pesky stubble, dry skin, and limp and frizzy hair, it is time you chased away your summer beauty blues by heading to the spa. This is a great way to unwind and relax on a hot and scorching summer afternoon. And, remember it is not just your pretty face that needs hydrating during summer; your hands and tootsies need some TLC too! Treat yourself to a mani-pedi makeover, a refreshing facial and if time permits a body massage too. Put down your phone and enjoy soaks in Jacuzzis, steams, and myriad spa treatments that will give you dewy, dreamy skin in just one session. If you cannot afford an afternoon at a luxe spa, there are many less extravagant spas that you can check into. If you are traveling down south, you will be pleased to know that the streets of Kerala and Mahabalipuram are dotted with Ayurvedic massage centres and spas to suit varied budgets!
A full body massage for as little as INR 2000 for 30 minutes in budget massage centres. More exotic spas may bill you about INR 5000 for a body massage and offer body scrubs, wraps, facials, and specialty remedies for specific ailments! So, what are you waiting for? Book your slot to get pampered to the hilt.
Carry the Right Clothes:
- Pants or Slacks: Since they can be worn more than just once, ensure to carry 2-3 pairs. But stick with jeans (preferably not skin tight). Get into the vacation mood, and carry a few pairs of baggy jeans, maybe even distressed a little to show off some skin. You may also consider packing a pair of harem or culottes; they not only add a dash of versatility to your ensemble but also are super comfy in summer. Ensure that your jeans are made of cotton; if not, swap them for linen shorts.
- Tops: At least 5-6; mix in a bunch of styles. Again, stick to cotton, linen, rayon, chambray, georgette, etc. They are cooler fabrics in general and will do wonders in keeping you cool through the heat. A flannel shirt is also a good addition to the perfect summer ensemble.
- A jacket: I know this seems absurd for the summer, but you’re bound to get caught up in a situation where it might be chillier than expected especially after sunset. A light rain jacket should suffice.
- Accessories: Carry scarves, scrunchies (for your hair) and belts. And, those pretty trinkets to spruce up your looks on a date night.
Other Things to Pack
- Carry hats, sunglasses and don’t forget your sunscreen (with a high SPF).
- Mosquito repellent: Mosquito can be a menace in many parts of India. So, if you like to walk around in shorts, be sure to pack a few bottles of mosquito repellent. (A must-carry item if you are deliberating on Kerala tour packages)
- Umbrella: An absolute must-have. To keep you shaded from the sunlight and an unexpected drizzle.
- Comfortable footwear: Carry three pairs of shoes: one for walking, one for dressing up and a pair of sturdy flats. This might seem like a bizarre tip, but you will be thanking us for this one. You will be glad you carried a pair of flip flops when on the sandy shores.
- SPACE: Preferably carry an extra bag with you, because believe us, when on vacation, you are going to shop till you drop!
So, what are you waiting for? Do not let the summer deter your spirits. Pack your bags and set out on vacation like no other!